A huge winter storm system is dusting the Smokies with snow, which has reached as much as 4 inches of accumulation in Newfound Gap prompting road closures in the Great Smoky Mountains national park early this morning with many more expected in the next 3 days.
At least another 2 to 6 inches of snow is called for today with the heaviest snowfall predicted in elevations of 3,500 feet or more. By tomorrow, snowfall accumulations in the Smoky Mountains area expected are to be from 6 - 12 inches and Sunday calls for more snow and potential rain with plummeting temps at night n the low teens.
Expect most if not all major roads in the GSMNP to close and some such as Newfound Gap Road, may remain closed for the entire weekend or even longer.
The following roads in the Great Smoky Mountains national park are closed due to snow and Ice:
- Newfound Gap Road US 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg.
- Old State Road 284 from Big Creek to Cataloochee.
- The Cataloochee Entrance Road.
- Laurel Creek Road at Tremont
- Cades Cove: All Roads and access
- Cherokee Orchard Road at the Twin Creeks Science center
Great Smoky Mountains national park closures last updated 3:04 pm 12/18